The newly sworn-in President of Government Secondary School, Afaha Eket (GSSAE) Alumni Association, Mr. Aniekan Willie, has set five key areas that would enable his teamwork in a way that will reinforce impact and relevance of the Association.
In an acceptance speech on July 27, 2019, Willie said having been beneficiaries of the abundance from their alma mater, the association must be poise to give back effectively to the society. “In this regard, I see a lot of positive connections already that are directly and indirectly associated with the advent of our Alumni Association”, he said.
The five (5) broad priority areas that would engage the Exco’s attention in the next three years are:
- Expanded/enhanced mentorship, sponsorship and scholarship programme for students.
- Strategic Intervention in Infrastructural development (library and laboratory supplies/equipment support)
- Welfare programmes for all members— health, death and funeral insurance scheme;
- Completion and the official launch of a robust Alumni website
- Sustained membership base / Expansion.
The president said, “The election has come and gone, and now is the period for us to face the real task of moving our Alumni Association to a higher level of performance. The challenge facing us as a body is daunting but not insurmountable and I intend to, along with my team, frontally tackle them, for that is the only way we can truly deserve your sacred mandate. GSSAE has a unique identity of being a premier Institution in this part of the country and we shall not fail to uphold the noble objectives of this Association in this regard”.
He then announced the appointment of four Ex-Officio members and Legal Adviser, to join the elected members in the task of running the association. Those appointed were:
- Bishop Enobong Etteh – ex-officio
- Mr. Anniekan Etuk – ex-officio
- Rt. Hon David Lawrence – ex-officio
- Mr. Uduak Philips – ex-officio
- Barrister Inam Wilson – Legal Adviser
Concluding, Willie pleaded with all members for cooperation, “in every aspect to enable us to meet your expectations. The tasks are enormous, and we are committed to overcoming them all”.